Tuesday, December 08, 2009

What am I addicted to?

you need to ask?

seriously you need to ASK!!

I'm an online junkie of the worst kind. I adore t'interwebs. I love to chatter inanely at random people. I discovered 'message boards' 10 years ago when pregnant with darling daughter. I chatted like a crazy woman to other mums, we shared laughs ideas, photos, information; and on one noticeable occasion a group of us shared being banned form BabyNamesWorld for misbehaviour!
We left and created our own spin off group, but the message boards were like cannabis, a weak drug, not giving me quite the fix I needed - it wasn't FAST enough...

so gradually I drifted away and then I found Yahoo Answers! a place filled with life, a place where people wanted advice on anything from parenting, animal husbandry, sex to wedding dress choices and boyfriend advice, I was in heaven! I told it like it was, I got a little 'top contributor' button - I was FLYING....
but slowly the questions became boring, each was similar to another, some were mind numbingly stupid (He says he loves me so I should sleep wid him? wat ya think?) I drifted again..

A brief flurry into MySpace was fun, following celebrities and listening to music, but really the interaction was lacking.

Friends Reunited
peaked my interest for a while, catching up with past loves, but it cost money! (although of course the addict in me paid up!) and after getting into trouble (again!) with a jealous wife I drifted away.

Facebook!
Aha finally the cocaine I needed! a buzz, lots of people, random strangers - family - friends, they were all here, there was chat, statuses, notes, photos, groups FUN! I lived facebook! for a while. Then the 'games' appeared. People played but they no longer talked, my addiction to communicating with the world was at risk!!

but finally, finally Heroin......Twitter, yes Twitter, which I resisted for ages as 'nerdy' and 'not fun' and 'boring' and even 'stupid' how could I be so wrong!! Twitter was everything I needed, it was instant, always awake, always lively, filled with interesting, fun and nice people, with enough argument but not too much, ideas...oh how can I explain, if you tweet you know, if you don't......why!?

So thank you Stephen Fry (@stephenfry) for introducing me to the biggest addiction yet....


This blog inspired by

11 comments:

  1. twitter = heroin. does it ever. great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. Twitter is such an addiction, a guilty pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The internet is my lover, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hell yes, I'm addicted to twitter too; it is the heroin of the internet. I've left... and come back; left... and come back... and probably will leave again... but I suspect I'll come back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. we could give it up.......if we wanted to

    ReplyDelete
  6. i only joined twitter the other day and have visited the site a million tiems already! on line addiction is not a solo sport hun xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - I'm on twitter but still don't 'get' it. I'm sure that once I figure out how to use it I'll be as hooked as everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not twittering yet, but boy have you persuaded me that I am missing out...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh god yes. Yes and yes some more. In fact a while back I actually wrote a post entitled 'Why Twitter is better than crack'.

    My life would be much the lesser without my daily (and sometimes hourly!) dose of the interwebs and I'm not ashamed to admit it :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. It makes a kitten smile.All comments will be moderated before posting. So take that spammers!